I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Mr Purple

Re: I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:33 am

Brainstorming time. I have a loud 'click' on my GRX600 equipped Trek Checkpoint with 5000km on it.

Recently had it serviced by a quality mobile mechanic - old chain was toast (too much mud) and replaced, indexed everything, lubed everything an removed the crankset and inspected the bottle bracket. Disc bled and clearanced, replaced both pedals because I was upgrading to Look. Adjusted both front and rear derailleurs and indexed.

And yet the click I did all of this for is still there. Only on pushing significant watts (>300 or so), sitting position doesn't matter so it's not the seat - it sounds for all the world like a drivetrain click.

The mechanic dude is coming back at some stage because it annoys him as well, but any other suggestions? Completely silent up to the power threshold, then as loud as can be - so loud the bike's unrideable.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:12 am

Immediately makes you think bottom bracket. Pressfit? Threaded?
Otherwise pedals, are they tight? Through axles, handlebar stem at steerer and handlebar.
Seat post, cf paste or grease for aluminium in aluminium frame. Seat clamp.
All guesses, but hopefully the mechanic can sort it.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:16 am

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:12 am
this was my thought too

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:22 am

Have a mate that had a problem like this and it was a chain ring bolt not thight enough. We spent ages trying to figure it out, from looking at the pedals and cleats (Look) to seat, to handle bars, taking a foot out of each pedal and pedalling and then it was noticed that a chainring bolt was loose. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:25 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:22 am
Have a mate that had a problem like this and it was a chain ring bolt not thight enough. We spent ages trying to figure it out, from looking at the pedals and cleats (Look) to seat, to handle bars, taking a foot out of each pedal and pedalling and then it was noticed that a chainring bolt was loose. :lol:

Foo
good that you worked it out

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:34 am

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:12 am
Otherwise pedals, are they tight? Through axles, handlebar stem at steerer and handlebar.
Seat post, cf paste or grease for aluminium in aluminium frame. Seat clamp.
All guesses, but hopefully the mechanic can sort it.
Yes, I thought that too but that's the first thing he checked.

Seatpost (carbon) has been refitted and CF pasted, I swapped out both wheels and it was still there so it won't be the through axles, handlebar stem has been torqued correctly. As I said both pedals and cleats have been replaced and the noise is still there so it's not them either unfortunately.

Last time it was a loose cassette so I've rechecked that (and it was on the spare wheelset anyway so not that) and I've been caught on the crankset bolts before so it's not that. It's so blooming loud I can't believe the cause is not immediately obvious!

I am beginning to suspect something to do with the BB as well because otherwise I reckon I would have found it. It's a T47 Praxis threaded. Either that or I've cracked yet another aluminium frameset somewhere, though I can't find anything obvious.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:59 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:34 am

Yes, I thought that too but that's the first thing he checked.

Seatpost (carbon) has been refitted and CF pasted, I swapped out both wheels and it was still there so it won't be the through axles, handlebar stem has been torqued correctly. As I said both pedals and cleats have been replaced and the noise is still there so it's not them either unfortunately.

Last time it was a loose cassette so I've rechecked that (and it was on the spare wheelset anyway so not that) and I've been caught on the crankset bolts before so it's not that. It's so blooming loud I can't believe the cause is not immediately obvious!

I am beginning to suspect something to do with the BB as well because otherwise I reckon I would have found it. It's a T47 Praxis threaded. Either that or I've cracked yet another aluminium frameset somewhere, though I can't find anything obvious.
I have had a threaded bb make noise before. Reinstalled with geased threads and all good. I have heard of people getting the bottom bracket faced also.
Hopefully not another frame. :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:17 am

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:59 am
I have had a threaded bb make noise before. Reinstalled with geased threads and all good. I have heard of people getting the bottom bracket faced also.
Hopefully not another frame. :(
The difference between this and my last two cracked aluminium frames is that this one's under warranty.

I wouldn't be too devastated!

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:44 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:33 am
Brainstorming time. I have a loud 'click' on my GRX600 equipped Trek Checkpoint with 5000km on it.

Recently had it serviced by a quality mobile mechanic - old chain was toast (too much mud) and replaced, indexed everything, lubed everything an removed the crankset and inspected the bottle bracket. Disc bled and clearanced, replaced both pedals because I was upgrading to Look. Adjusted both front and rear derailleurs and indexed.

And yet the click I did all of this for is still there. Only on pushing significant watts (>300 or so), sitting position doesn't matter so it's not the seat - it sounds for all the world like a drivetrain click.

The mechanic dude is coming back at some stage because it annoys him as well, but any other suggestions? Completely silent up to the power threshold, then as loud as can be - so loud the bike's unrideable.
I just hate these, and unfortunately I've had my fair share of it on various bikes. Sometimes I just back off the power temporarily to make it stop, but I suspect that is not your modus operandi :lol:

Recently I had this problem, eliminated just about everything so figured it was the threaded bottom bracket. I took it to a mechanic, and he said he simply tightened the bottom bracket which was loose, only took a couple of minutes. Didn't even need to remove the cranks. Fixed it ... so far.

Another one I have had to add to your list is internal cabling clicking, especially rear hydrualic brake line if that passes close to the BB. Can move or flick when the frame is flexing slightly under power

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:40 pm

never hit 300w but have managed random noises...had one last year that I was convinced was drive train...checked BB, Chain ring bolts, Pedal axles, cleats, Cassette spacer and lock ring and whilst putting wheel back on I noticed that the rear hub had cup and cone style locknuts - no idea why as sealed bearings/thru axle so I assume specific to the unbranded freehub any way I nipped up the cone nuts and every time I put down my (limited) power all was blissfully silent

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:48 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:44 pm
Recently I had this problem, eliminated just about everything so figured it was the threaded bottom bracket. I took it to a mechanic, and he said he simply tightened the bottom bracket which was loose, only took a couple of minutes. Didn't even need to remove the cranks. Fixed it ... so far.

Another one I have had to add to your list is internal cabling clicking, especially rear hydrualic brake line if that passes close to the BB. Can move or flick when the frame is flexing slightly under power
Something internal is a good thought - cable clicking could certainly be a culprit.

Based on how it appears I suspect something is flexing - it takes a bit of power to do it, and obviously two things are hitting together which should not be hitting together. Given it's an aluminium frame it's a) pretty loud and b) hard to work out exactly where it's coming from. The last time I had this issue with a bike it was the crankset bolts, so that was the first thing I checked. At least I've swapped so many things out that it's not the wheels, cassette or pedals!

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:33 am

What sort of bottom bracket does that bike have? Might be a square bearing or cracked race?

Also check all chainring bolts are tight, just in case :P

Richard

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:43 pm

T47 Praxis, so nothing too disastrous.

Checking the chainring bolts was the first thing I did!

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:51 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:43 pm
T47 Praxis, so nothing too disastrous.

Checking the chainring bolts was the first thing I did!
I had a super loud click on my Ridley carbon road bike. I had the BB checked and everything was ok but the click remained. I greased and lubed the whole Dura Ace group set plus replaced the chain but nothing fixed it. LBS was at a loss to explain it but I found the trouble accidentally while cleaning my bike. It turned out to be a worn rear hub bearing which got stuck as it rotated and sent the shockwave directly through the hub and into the frame ( being carbon, it resonated like all hell). I replaced the bearing and now it’s quiet as a mouse.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 pm

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:51 pm
I had a super loud click on my Ridley carbon road bike. I had the BB checked and everything was ok but the click remained. I greased and lubed the whole Dura Ace group set plus replaced the chain but nothing fixed it. LBS was at a loss to explain it but I found the trouble accidentally while cleaning my bike. It turned out to be a worn rear hub bearing which got stuck as it rotated and sent the shockwave directly through the hub and into the frame ( being carbon, it resonated like all hell). I replaced the bearing and now it’s quiet as a mouse.
Good thought but it won't be that because it's identical with my spare wheelset.

After 60km of 'creak, creak' I've convinced myself it's the bottom bracket and it's booked in with Trek during the week to sort it out. We'll see!

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:03 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 pm
Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:51 pm
Good thought but it won't be that because it's identical with my spare wheelset.

After 60km of 'creak, creak' I've convinced myself it's the bottom bracket and it's booked in with Trek during the week to sort it out. We'll see!
Can you let us know what comes of this (good or bad)? … strange clicks and squeaks with no apparent cause have to be the worst type of bike problem… anyway, good luck and I’m sure everyone here hopes you get it sorted.