Good bike stands

NewCyclist

Good bike stands

Postby NewCyclist » Thu May 02, 2024 7:51 am

Hey guys, I need to store 2 bikes in a room and trying to save space. What is a good bike stand? I prefer the ones where I dont need to drill the walls, but all ideas would be welcome.

jasonc

Re: Good bike stands

Postby jasonc » Thu May 02, 2024 9:43 am

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:02 am

You do need to drill holes in your wall, but cheap and gets them up out of the way;
https://www.bunnings.com.au/handy-stora ... k_p0074299

Dogs are the best people :wink:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu May 02, 2024 10:28 am

These:

or these:

Both no drilling, poles are expandable to fit floor to ceiling, gravity ones are OK but don't like too much heavy up top.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 02, 2024 2:38 pm

familyguy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:28 am
These:

Will be looking at something like this at the new house once complete. Multiple brands of the same version around too

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu May 02, 2024 3:51 pm

Pro tip: look on second hand markets (Gumtree, FB Marketplace) before going retail. There is almost always something going.

I've got 3 of the expanding post style, all different brands. The latest one I picked up was the Bikehand model pictured. The only thing that lets it down is that the cradles on each end of the arm are fixed in position relative to the arm. It's nothing major, it just means you have to set them for the bike you want to put on that cradle. The cradles on the others I have swing into position as the bike loads them up.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 02, 2024 4:04 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:38 pm
Will be looking at something like this at the new house once complete. Multiple brands of the same version around too
What??? All that fancy cabinetry and you didn't get the all important bike storage & display built in
Anything you can do, I can do slower

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 02, 2024 4:27 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:04 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:38 pm
What??? All that fancy cabinetry and you didn't get the all important bike storage & display built in
Battles picked wisely .... :mrgreen:

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Thu May 02, 2024 4:27 pm

familyguy wrote:
These:

Both no drilling, poles are expandable to fit floor to ceiling, gravity ones are OK but don't like too much heavy up top.
Looks interesting. Perhaps a silly question, but how do they go in a garage (or any room really) that has a Gyprock ceiling and a 90mm cornice ? I would have expected they ideally they should be close to the wall (but perhaps not as they need to allow for handlebars - hard to see how long the "arms" are) - and that they would need to be screwed up pretty tight (ie. expanded) between floor and ceiling to be secure and stable - Gyprock may not be strong enough unless you used a solid plywood (or similar) board to spread the load/force ?

NewCyclist

Postby NewCyclist » Thu May 02, 2024 5:14 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:27 pm
familyguy wrote:
These:

Looks interesting. Perhaps a silly question, but how do they go in a garage (or any room really) that has a Gyprock ceiling and a 90mm cornice ? I would have expected they ideally they should be close to the wall (but perhaps not as they need to allow for handlebars - hard to see how long the "arms" are) - and that they would need to be screwed up pretty tight (ie. expanded) between floor and ceiling to be secure and stable - Gyprock may not be strong enough unless you used a solid plywood (or similar) board to spread the load/force ?
That was exactly the question I had 😀
Thanks everyone for your replies, this is such a great forum!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu May 02, 2024 5:17 pm

All mine have ended up about with the post centre about 170mm from the wall. The cradles sit on the outer side of the post, so by the time the bike is on it, you're about 230mm from the centreline to the wall. 420mm bars/2 = 210 plus a little movement, so YMMV. You won't get them close enough to be troubled by a 90mm cornice unless you don't have handlebars. I'll get a photo tonight of just how far away they are and how they sit.

As for plasteboard ceilings, the load nothing a piece of ply or MDF wouldn't assist with. Or if you can locate a convenient ceiling joist, wedge it beneath that. They are tight to the point of quite firm. I have only ever knocked one over (with two bikes on it) when I got a backpack strap caught on a handlebar and kept walking. Lesson learned.

NewCyclist

Postby NewCyclist » Thu May 02, 2024 6:49 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:02 am
You do need to drill holes in your wall, but cheap and gets them up out of the way;

Thanks mate! This is my favorite so far, and by far cheapest bike rack! Have you used this particular model? Any experience with it? My bike is Giant TCR Advanced SL 1. Would the rack be suitable for my bike?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu May 02, 2024 6:49 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Here's some pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/KKlS2CX

You can see how far off the walls they sit.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 02, 2024 7:13 pm

NewCyclist wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:49 pm
warthog1 wrote:

Thanks mate! This is my favorite so far, and by far cheapest bike rack! Have you used this particular model? Any experience with it? My bike is Giant TCR Advanced SL 1. Would the rack be suitable for my bike?

That is a photo of my garage. I have 5 of them on the wall.
Not the same as the one I linked but I got them at Bunnings. Go to Bunnings and see what they've got.
More than strong enough for a TCR. I have a 15kg MTB hanging off one. It would easily take 30kg I expect. More limited by how they are attached. 2 of them are on a gyprock wall. I have screwed into the stud behind the gyprock.

NewCyclist

Postby NewCyclist » Thu May 02, 2024 10:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 7:13 pm
NewCyclist wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

Not the same as the one I linked but I got them at Bunnings. Go to Bunnings and see what they've got.
More than strong enough for a TCR. I have a 15kg MTB hanging off one. It would easily take 30kg I expect. More limited by how they are attached. 2 of them are on a gyprock wall. I have screwed into the stud behind the gyprock.
Thanks heaps! Looks like you put some sort of padding around rack handles? You dont think the rubber around rack handles is sufficient?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 pm

NewCyclist wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:10 pm
warthog1 wrote:
NewCyclist wrote:

Thanks heaps! Looks like you put some sort of padding around rack handles? You dont think the rubber around rack handles is sufficient?
I taped some bits of towel on there. Probably didn't need to but I am fussy with my bikes.

NewCyclist

Postby NewCyclist » Thu May 02, 2024 10:29 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 pm
NewCyclist wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:10 pm
warthog1 wrote:

I taped some bits of towel on there. Probably didn't need to but I am fussy with my bikes.
I think I'll do the same 😀

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 02, 2024 10:44 pm

Andy01 wrote:
familyguy wrote:
These:

These "bike tree" stands don't need a lot of force to hold them in place, so a plasterboard ceiling isn't going to pose a problem; most have good rubber pads top & bottom which give good grip on the supporting surfaces. Similarly, and as mentioned previously, the 90mm cornice won't be an issue either, because the tree will need to be further off the wall than that to accommodate handlebar width.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Fri May 03, 2024 9:07 am

Cyclingdeal.com.au has a few different options. The above style also come with a tripod base to stand freely without drilling into anything. I have both types, the cheaper one (all black in colour) doesn't have height adjustability and probably wouldn't work as good on modern MTB type frames. Got 3 in total, all 5+ years old, no issues at all.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat May 04, 2024 8:59 pm

familyguy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:51 pm
Pro tip: look on second hand markets (Gumtree, FB Marketplace) before going retail. There is almost always something going.

I've got 3 of the expanding post style, all different brands. The latest one I picked up was the Bikehand model pictured. The only thing that lets it down is that the cradles on each end of the arm are fixed in position relative to the arm. It's nothing major, it just means you have to set them for the bike you want to put on that cradle. The cradles on the others I have swing into position as the bike loads them up.

I noticed that a seller had 3 of these Post-style bicycle storage thingos listed for sale on RCMA (Retro Cycling Marketplace Australia) - just yesterday.

Located in Northcote, which I think is a Melbourne suburb.