How cool is this koala?

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:31 am

Joeblake wrote:Maybe if everybody hopped on their bikes and pedalled down to Melbourne, this might cause the country to tilt and get all the Queensland floodwater to run down to the South.
Not unreasonable. Maybe the Fed Govt should spend the money on a water scheme to pump the monsoon season rain water from the north to dryer parts of the country. By all projection, this bimodal weather will get worse and if we don't start building, it'll hit us hard.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:09 pm

I think that was the reasoning behind the construction of the Snowy River scheme. Use what appeared to be a resource going to "waste". I'm not sure a few decades down the track that it was really as successful as it was hoped.

The more we learn about how the world seems to work, the less we know about how it REALLY works.

And our current premier had exactly the same idea as leader of the opposition a couple of elections ago, piping water from the Kimberley. It got so many thumbs down from various quarters, cost, environmental, whether it would really work, etc, that it lost his party the election and himself the leadership. And now he's got the Premiership, he's VERY circumspect about promoting the idea.

In my view we have to educate ourselves how to use existing resources, rather than trying to "create" new resources to meet our perceived "needs".

In Perth we're expecting another few days of heat, predicted high of 40 on Wed or Thu. I think it's a good chance that we'll have power failures soon, and people will be blaming the Govt for not having sufficient power generating capacity, instead of themselves for not using what we have wisely.

:cry:

Time to get the pedal powered generator and solar panels back into action.

Joe :lol:
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Jrollin

Postby Jrollin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:40 pm

great pics....more on the Advertiser website for those who want more!!

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Another koala drinkinghere This koala has burnt feet from a bushfire at Mirboo North in Victoria's Gippsland region.

It makes me very sad for all the helpless animals. :cry:
Assuming that the extreme conditions in SE Australia are a product of global warming, we are all helping out every time we leave the car at home and ride our bicycles. :D