peugeot cranks

ag23q

peugeot cranks

Postby ag23q » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:02 pm

I've been working on my 70-80's peugeot road bike for a few weeks turning it into fixed, already got the rims etc. im stumped on how to get the crank off, does anyone have experience with peugeot road bikes from the 70's to 80's im pretty sure its in that age because of the badge on the front
if anyone knows can you please give me a step by step sort of tutorial haha :)
its not like the normal cranks its just freakin weirdd..

thanks guys!

darkhorse75

Re: peugeot cranks

Postby darkhorse75 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Are they cottered or not , i.e is there a bolt and nut thru the crank holding it to the spindle or just a bolt screwed directly into the spindle, pics are helpful.

ag23q

Postby ag23q » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:05 am

il grab a few pics in a day or 2, the camera isn't with me at the moment :(

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:33 am

Cranks and bottom brackets are an area where you should never be ashamed to head down to the lbs if you find yourself stumped. The job will either be quick and easy, in which case a good shop won't charge much (if at all) or it'll be a real #(AT)$%& in which case you're better off getting a pro to do it anyway.

Regardless of that, it'd be nice to see the piccies, I'm always up for new 'disasters'.

Richard
btw, post this up in the 'shed' as well seeing this isn't a specific fixed gear question - you're more likely to get someone who knows the answer :wink:
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:55 pm

europa wrote: btw, post this up in the 'shed' as well seeing this isn't a specific fixed gear question - you're more likely to get someone who knows the answer :wink:
Good call. Moved.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

ag23q

Postby ag23q » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:57 pm

well, i've got a few pic's now and im sure its the wack french !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!
i was wondering also about bearings for the forks and stem/handlebars or whatever there called for the bike, i opened it up it had the hell old school single bearings in no casing, do they take special bearings or can i just wack any road bike ones in there?

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Scouse

Postby Scouse » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:31 pm

If you think getting the cotters out is hard, wait until you try to remove the fixed cup on the RH side :x .

I gave my bottom bracket an overhaul after developing an alarming amount of play in the bearings & hoped to change it over altogether for a threadless type (not much in the way of French bits in SW Sydney). I managed to turn the RH cup about 45degrees before giving up & reassembling the damn thing. There was no wear evident but most of the bearings were found in the centre of the BB for some reason. One was missing altogether so that's probably hiding in one of the chain stays now :( .
Scott

1975 Peugeot UO-8 - daily commuter along the Liverpool to Parramatta cycleway (and back again :))

**Now living south of Campbelltown so commuting with the help of Mr Cityrail.